- THE HYDROFLUX GROUP
- Our Team
- News & Media
- Contact Us
Hydroflux HySmart® Sequencing Batch Reactor. SBR’s are renowned as being one of the most robust and reliable biological systems available for Industrial wastewater treatment including:
- Minimal Footprint
- No Clarifier Required
- Ability to Cope with Shock Loadings
- No Sludge Recycling Necessary
- Biological Nutrient Removal (BNR) Possible
HySmart® Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR) – Phases of Operation
The main differences between an SBR and conventional activated sludge systems are that aeration and sedimentation of the biomass occurs in the same tank in timed sequence. This allows SBR systems to be designed with a high degree of flexibility in terms of treating varying flows and concentrations that are usually experienced in Industrial applications. An SBR is a cost effective solution for secondary treatment of Industrial Wastewater as it allows for the treatment of variable flows, requires minimum operator intervention, allows anoxic or anaerobic conditions to occur in the same tank, it requires a comparatively small floor space and has very good solids removal efficiency. The team at Hydroflux has taken SBR technology one step further and now made it one of the most ecologically sustainable by intelligent design. Power savings of over 30% on traditional SBR’s and as much as 80% when incorporating AEROSTRIP® fine bubble diffusers.
Hydroflux provides clients with effective process clarity. This cradle-to-grave transparency ensures that our clients get the best process to suit their needs
There are six Phases to the HySmart® SBR treatment system being;
- Anoxic Fill Phase – Denitrification and Alkalinity Recovery
- Aeration Fill Phase – Nitrification
- Aeration Reaction Phase – BOD Removal
- Settlement Phase – Settling of the MLSS
- Decant Phase – Removal of the Treated Effluent
- Sludge Waste Phase – Removal of any Excess Biomass
During Phase 1, the fill stage, wastewater is transferred into the base of the SBR and mixes with the biomass. This causes denitrification and alkalinity recovery to occur. Phase 2 filling continues and aeration commences. The aeration phase is where oxygen is introduced into the SBR via high efficiency fine bubble AEROSTRIP® diffusers to encourage the multiplication of aerobic bacteria. Phase 3, Reaction, continues the multiplication of aerobic bacteria and is where the BOD is consumed. Phase 4, Settlement, involves settling of the biomass so that a clear supernatant can be decanted from the top of the SBR during Phase 5 via a floating decanter. Phase 6 is the final phase before the cycle restarts and is where excess biomass is removed. There are many ways in which an SBR can be configured and in each case, setting of the various sequencing options will depend on the specific wastewater characteristics and the substances that are being removed. For example an SBR system configured to remove only organic material, will have quite different settings to one that is designed for nitrification and denitrification processes. As the bacteria multiply and die, the volume of sludge within the SBR builds up. This sludge is periodically removed or wasted and is usually thickened and dewatered. Again, there are many configurations of WAS disposal depending on what the SBR is aiming to achieve.
Sequential biological reactors are always sized for each application. The size of the Hydroflux Industrial SBR is dependent on many factors including the flow, load and performance requirements. There is however no restriction on sizing SBR’s hence they can be designed for virtually any industrial wastewater application and size
The benefits of the SBR include
The team at Hydroflux has taken SBR technology one step further and now made it one of the most ecologically sustainable by intelligent design. Power savings of over 30% on traditional SBR’s and as much as 80% when incorporating AEROSTRIP® fine bubble diffusers.
- Smart control with automatic changing of cycle (Idle, Fill, Aerate, Settle, Decant) times to suit inflow rate and quality. Saving power and preventing problematical microorganism growth (improved settlement) caused by excess aeration during low feed periods and low aeration during high feed periods with automatic, Sleep, Economy and Power (in event of a product spill) modes.
- Controlled rapid introduction of feed into the settled sludge blanket (with or without flow proportional carbon source addition) for improved de-nitrification (Ammonia removal) without mixing
- Controlled chemical P removal through flow proportional addition of Alum or PAC
- Exclusive to Hydroflux – inclusion of the worlds most advanced AEROSTRIP fine bubble diffusers reducing power demand by as much as 50%
- Proprietary patented solids exclusion floating decanter allows decanting during much of the settlement period, increasing SBR throughput by up to 12%
- Automatically controlled waste activated sludge (WAS) removal for ideal mixed liquor suspended solids (MLSS) and mean cell residence time (MCRT)
- Retrofits possible into existing tanks and basins
- Upgradable to extended aeration
There are numerous applications for SBR systems
- Meat and poultry industry
- Beverage sector
- Fruit and vegetable processing
- Potato and potato chips
- Vegetable oil processing
- General Food industry
- Industrial laundries
- Paper, cardboard and printing
DESIGN CONSTRUCTION OPERATION
Engaging a professional wastewater treatment company to look after the entire wastewater project is a convenient, economical and hassle free option for industry. Hydroflux Industrial can provide all process design works, manufacture and fabrication, construction and even complete operation of your wastewater treatment plant. When Hydroflux Industrial provides complete solutions, we can either undertake a contract on a turnkey basis or work together with building services engineers and other construction professionals to ensure that the project is delivered smoothly, without interruption and on time.
BUILD OPERATE TRANSFER (BOT) FINANCING
The Hydroflux Group is able to offer a Build Operate & Transfer (BOT) option for water and wastewater assets in Australia and New Zealand. This innovative partnership arrangement strengthens existing strong bonds between Hydroflux and their customers for the long term. Hydroflux, represented by a special purpose vehicle dedicated to the project, supplies the design, construction, financing, and operation of the water or wastewater plant. The plant is transferred to the client at the end of the contract, which is generally around 10 years. Hydroflux also purchase existing water and wastewater plants on a similar basis, which releases cash to our clients for either returning or distributing to investors or for funding other investments in their core business. The multidisciplinary structure of the Hydroflux group including design, construction, equipment supply and operation makes Hydroflux the ideal BOT water and wastewater partner. Please contact Hydroflux if would like to explore the option of either acquiring a new water or wastewater facility without capital outlay or would like to free up cash by selling your existing water or wastewater assets.